Thursday, March 10, 2011

I'm Giving Up 2: Electric Boogaloo

It’s Lent.

Last year I publicly proclaimed my love for Diet Coke for the first time and then gave it up. Our reunion 40 days later was not quite as sweet as expected, and I thought I might be off the bubbly stuff for good.

I was wrong. Our torrid love affair continues.

Truthfully, I thought about giving up DC again this year. But as I mentioned a few entries ago, I have been struggling with migraines. Caffeine really helps with them, and as DC is my only real source of caffeine, I’m going to keep it close by, even during Lent.

This year, I hemmed and hawed about what to give up. Fast food? Maybe. Shopping? Nah. Facebook? Hmm. One of my best friends suggested cheese. I laughed at her. Quite loudly. N-E-V-E-R.

But after much thought, I decided to give up going out to lunch, as well as my usual Fountainside breakfasts. This is harder than it seems. I’ve been unusually lazy the past month or so and have been grabbing quick (though healthy) lunches at Subway or Chick-Fil-A. I went grocery shopping last night and Kroger was like a foreign land—clearly it had been way too long since I’d been there.

I have planned my lunches for the next week or so—mostly dinner leftovers. I’ve been slacking in the cooking-at-home department, too.

I’ll keep you posted on my progress. And maybe you guys can challenge yourselves, too. With or without Lent. If you are like me and tend to go out rather than brown-bag it, why don’t you join me for one week in bringing your lunch? Just one week. You can totally do that. Let me know how you do.

After my weigh-in this week, I’m officially down 95 pounds. Just a few pounds away from my next goal. Huzzah.

P.S. A special message to those of you who work at Children’s: The Internal Communications folks are kind enough to update Careforce and publicize my blog when they can. But there is a lot going on and obviously they can’t update every time I post. So, make sure you bookmark this site and check often. I try to update at least twice a week.

6 comments:

Casa de Nagel said...

95 pounds?! THAT is amazing my dear!

Anonymous said...

I think I will brown bag it with you this week. I, too have been relying on Chik Fil A and Pollo Loco too often.
But no b-fast at Fountainside, not sure I am ready for that.
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your incredible weight loss. Only 5 more pounds until the 100 pound mark! How exciting!
Once you get in the habit of weekly shopping, it only makes sense. Figure you spend at least $5.00 going out to lunch every day. At the end of the month, you save $100 towards all the new clothes you are going to need as you continue on your weight loss journey. As you get smaller, a weight loss of 8-10 pounds can be a smaller size, so you have a lot of clothes to plan for.
One of the best deals in town is a rotisserie chicken from Costco for $5.00! Eat it hot the first day with a veggie. Then use the leftovers in salads, sandwiches, stir fry's...
I have migraines too, so I feel for you. Try to limit your caffeine to 1-2 cups per day, and then use it when you have a migraine. Too much caffeine actually causes migraines.

Keep up the amazing work! I know you are so proud of the work you have accomplished, as you should be.

Kudos

MB said...

Whew!! All I saw was Lent and sexy siren and thought, "oh no, don't do it!" But alas, all is good and I don't have to feel bad for you giving them up. I'm off to Fountainside for an impossible-to-resist siren as I type. Gotta go now.

Anonymous said...

well, I did give up the DC for Lent this year, I am doing WW and feel like I have given everything else up, so why not the DC? I would starve if I had to shop and bring stuff from home...more power to ya, that's way too hard for me!!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you. Keep up the good work!!!!