Tuesday, February 9, 2016

A selfish Lenten commitment


It’s Fat Tuesday.
I’m trying not to make the joke that every day that ends in a Y is a fat day for me. But oh, I just did.

It’s an annual tradition for me to post about my Lenten goals. There was the time I gave up Diet Coke. Then I made a commitment to bring my lunch every day during Lent. That was hard.
But this year, I’m feeling the need to be selfish during Lent.

I realize that’s not really the point, but I think in this instance, it makes the most sense. I’m going to spend the next 40 days focusing on myself.
This means I will devote myself to taking care of myself physically, emotionally and spiritually. I’m hoping for a major reset with a higher power helping me along the way.

Physically
Taking care of myself physically means there is less reason to hate my body and more time to appreciate the things it was created to do. So I will focus on being kind to it. Feeding it healthfully. Exercising it regularly. I will throw in one sacrifice that I should be making anyway—giving up soda. For good. Because now that I’ve gotten rid of Diet Coke (it’s been more than two YEARS, y’all), I have rediscovered a love for regular Coke. Bad, bad.
I’ve already been tracking my WW points and staying on plan as well as possible. This is Day Two. Long road ahead.
Monastery of the Holy Spirit, Conyers,Ga.


Emotionally and spiritually
These kind of go hand in hand for me. But it boils down to this—giving thanks and being kind to myself. Two things I’ve been severely lacking in doing. I need to pray. I need to meditate. I need to journal. I need to be self-affirming. I’ve not done a single one of these things lately. But Lent is the time to refocus.
For those of you who participate in Lent, what are you giving up? Or more importantly, what are you doing for yourself and for others? I think so often we focus on giving up sweets or fast food or soda that we forget what this season is really about. I hope you’ll join me in honoring the unique and beautiful person you were created to be.

I mean, that’s why we’re all here, right?

No comments: